Two Bargello Quilts

I finally finished piecing the two bargello quilts that I have been working on for quite awhile. The first one, Wind Song, has 24 fabrics and is a king sized quilt. I started working on it over a year ago but put it aside for awhile to work on other projects. IMG_1205

I designated this year to complete most, if not all, of my UFO’s (a hefty aspiration!). Wind Song was on that list and although it was a very easy quilt to put together, the sewing of the strips was very boring and monotonous to me. I hardly ever watch TV but decided to put a television in my sewing room so I could stream shows while sewing. It really helped the time fly by so I was able to finish it quickly.

IMG_1202

I haven’t decided if I want borders on this quilt. On the plus side it would make it a very large king size quilt and it would drape nicely on my bed. I’m just worried that borders will detract from the movement of the quilt top. I’ll have to audition a few more fabrics and see if I can find something I like.

IMG_1206

Wind Song is a pattern that can be found in Eileen Wright’s book Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts which I purchased from my LQS.

619pyixjJiL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_

 

The second quilt is a three fabric bargello I began in a class a couple of months ago and posted about previously (for pattern details, please see earlier blog post on three fabric bargello).

IMG_1180

This quilt is a spin on the 2 fabric bargello quilt pattern. It is a very large throw size and I love how it turned out. I mitered the borders using the focus fabric and one of the insert fabrics.

I am having a hard time trying to decide how to quilt it. I don’t have a computer on my long arm machine and I am limited in my free motion quilting skills. I’ve been practicing some new designs so I will update when I get it quilted.

I’m doing something right now that I have never done before, I am in a test group for a new quilt pattern! It is a lot of fun and very interesting to see how much work goes into a pattern. The designer did not use any quilting software to design the quilt, but did it the old fashioned way through trial and error.  To give you a hint it is a twist on an old favorite, the Dresden quilt. I look forward to sharing it when it is done!

Current Project: 3 Fabric Bargello

The quilt I’m currently working on is a 3 fabric bargello. I have to be honest, this quilt has been very confusing and I couldn’t have done it without taking a class. It would’ve helped if I had made a 2 fabric bargello first but I skipped that one and jumped right in with both feet!

IMG_0828

It’s been a few weeks since the class ended and unfortunately I have been too busy to work on it until today. There are no published instructions, just add-on notes to the 2 fabric pattern that you receive when you sign up for the class. The instructor did a terrific job explaining it though and I love how it’s turning out so hopefully it will be worth all of the confusion in the end.

IMG_0907
IMG_0826

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To get the interesting color combination, the pattern calls for an ombré fabric for the background. These fabrics usually run dark to light to dark again across the width of the fabric.

IMG_0914

There are also two insert fabrics that need to contrast slightly with the ombré  fabric.

IMG_0915

Auditioning my fabrics before getting started

I only have 8 strips sewn together and there are a total of 39. It is a slow process because you have to be very precise with the math, seam allowance, measurements and cutting. It’s also very important to keep the strips numbered until they are sewn together. I was going to use this as a throw on my couch but because of the time involved it may turn out to be a wall hanging instead!

IMG_0825

IMG_0913

The strips behind the 3 fabric Bargello are from a 16 fabric Bargello I am also working on. I find the 3 fabric quilt top much harder than the 16 fabric one.

IMG_0827

The basting stitch is used as a guide and will be taken out later.

IMG_0908

These are the strips that I still have to line up and sew together. I will update with a pic when it is completed!